Saturday, June 19, 2010

Holden Caulfield’s A Whiny Little Bitch

I was never much of a reader when I was younger. It was always such a pain for me in school. Then one day, a few, seven years ago, I was flying to Boston for a wedding and bought a book at an airport newsstand to read on the plane. Since then I’ve kept on reading pretty regularly.

I tended towards crime fiction and true crime books, but as I’ve become more of a reader, I begun to expand my horizons. I started to attack universally regarded classics. Fahrenheit 451 was the first of these. And I tell you, I couldn’t have pick a better first classic. I loved that book. I figured I was onto something here, so I went for another one – To Kill A Mockingbird. Wow! I was two for two. So far so good…but not for long.

catcher

I then decided to take The Catcher in the Rye for a spin. First a disclaimer – I’m only about 5 or 6 chapters in as of this writing.

Now I get that I’m 31 reading a book that was written from a 16 year-olds point of view. I also fully understand that it was published in 1951. But all that notwithstanding, so far all I’ve taken away from this is that Holden Caulfield is a whiny little bitch.

Don’t fret dear readers, I fully intend on finishing the book, but I just really wish I had some historical perspective to wrap my head around how this became a classic. I mean, are a few fucken profanities enough to make something popular? I guess in 1951 they were.

I’ll let you know if Holden’s nads drop as I continue reading on. Don’t be surprised if they don’t. With a name like “Holden” we can’t really expect too much.

- Lenny

No comments:

Post a Comment